Huntington Lawn Cemetery
Huntington Lawn Cemetery was organized in 1879 and begun with a two-acre purchase of land for $300 from David Lane in what was known at the time as the Centre School District. Captial stock consisted of 100 shares of five dollars each, and when 40 shares were sold, the first meeting was called in October 1879, "by written notice posted on the sign post in the Centre of Huntington and on the door of the town house." In 1913 committees were established to "look into the building of roads" through the cemetery. Soon other strips of land were bequeated or purchased, expanding what is now known as the West section. The cemetery purchased an additional 1.9 acres 500 feet further up Lane Street in 1971 from one of the cemetery's founding father's children, and the East section was established. In 1997, the cemetery purchased a 5-acre parcel of property approximately one mile from the West section for what will be known as the South section, with site plans calling for approximately 3000 burial plots and 1000 urn spaces for cremations. The South section was officially dedicated and blessed as a cemetery in late September 2017, and is now officially open.
We are happy to help those looking to locate family plots and individual graves. We are also glad to assist those who are doing genealogy research and we welcome inquiries. In addition to our 135 years of Huntington Lawn Cemetery records, we also have access to the records of the original cemetery for the local community, located directly in Huntington Center. "The Old Cemetery of Huntington", also referred to as the Huntington Village Burial Grounds, is the final resting place for many of our area's founding families, in addition to many Revolutionary and Civil war dead.
Please call us at (203) 929-0011 or email us with your request: firstname.lastname@example.org